- Health: New analysis supports Paxlovid use — WHO official: “Blood on your hands” if world stops tackling COVID.
- Vaccines: Experts alarmed by COVID vaccination rates among America’s youngest kids — Why we need to be talking about vaccines that offer “mucosal immunity”.
- States: New York City ends its vaccine mandate for private businesses.
- Economy: Rural hospitals face funding cliff with $600 million on the line.
- World: Pfizer to supply 6 million Paxlovid treatments to Global Fund.
- Deep dive: The Long COVID crisis.
- Variant tracker
- Global: Total confirmed cases as of 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday: 618,520,614 — Total deaths: 6,548,484 — Total vaccine doses administered: 9,056,617,870
- U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday: 96,437,940 — Total deaths: 1,059,862
What should I do? Axios asked the experts:
Download our app and follow the Coronavirus channel to get the latest news.
Editor’s note: Johns Hopkins University stopped reporting U.S. COVID-19 recoveries on its dashboard on Dec. 15, citing a Coronavirus Tracking Project post that explained the national data is incomplete since several states do not keep records of recovered patients. It stopped reporting global recoveries and began reporting doses administered in May.